HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
william l brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
william l brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:29:54 -0800
I have a good time with a retired mechanic across town, who happens to be
from London. In case there is a person who hasn't heard of G.B. Shaw, he
said that England and America are 2 countries separated by a common
language. I have learned TTFN (TaTa for now), among other things. I have an
older Mercedes and I have a Haynes manual for this model - but this
particular manual is for the  UK market only - I ordered it over the Net
straight from Haynes. Sometimes I have to sit back and wonder what they are
saying. Terms like "renew". Windscreen, etc aren't used much here.

Then when I was in Australia the British were laughing because in Queensland
a good beer is 4x - XXXX - which I was told is the brand of a condom.

The variances of the English language is interesting - anyone catch the PBS
series a few years ago? Know the history of Pidgeon English? It is really a
different language - developed on the British navy in the 1700s by all the
nationalities of impressed seaman.

Still learning on my 917 - I'll bet we are the smallest office - 3 people
work + 1 through the modem...

Bill

William L. Brandt
Sacramento, CA USA