HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:13:55 -0800
You don't state the reason for your question, but if you've experienced a
problem with a :LOG logid, RESTART, chances are you've run into what I believe
is a bug which still exists in the user logging subsystem.  This occurs when a
:LOG ,STOP record is the last record written to the currently open log file
*AND* it fills the file at the same time.  The next restart of this process
fails because there's no room in the current log file in which to write the
restart record.

A better procedure is to include a ":CHANGELOG logid" (assuming you're logging
to disk *and* you've set up your logging process to "CHANGE" files) before you
stop the logging process.  This assures that your current logfile will have
capacity for the restart and subsequent transaction records.  We've set up our
LOG command scripts to automate this for each logging process.
----
Lee Gunter                    The Regence Group
Supervisor, TRG HP/MPE Systems     503.375.4498
----
Opinions expressed are solely mine.