HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:58:16 -0600
The DDS-3 Autoloader is a strange and finicky device, but it can be made to
work well.  The Semi Loaded message means that it did not really eject the tape
at the end of the rewind, it simply placed it offline and positioned the
magazine to receive it.  You need to issue an extra eject to the device.  You
might want to investigate the use of DEVCTL.MPEXL.TELESUP to help you with
this.

As for your second issue.  There is only one product able to fully control a
robotic device in random mode, (which is what you want,) on the HP 3000 and
that is HIBACK.  As a matter of fact, I have the exact same autoloader
connected to the HP 3000 in the office and it is used by HIBACK.  It receives
the backups from all the other servers in the office (NT, HP-UX), including the
HP 3000 itself and stores them on the tapes in the magazine.  When I need to
restore something for one of the servers, HIBACK gets the appropriate tape and
loads it in the drive and away it goes.  No other product can do this.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com