HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:37:24 -0500
Hans,

Hans-Ole Kaae <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have built a new TT-file from TT18 using TTUTIL. I included a
> VFC-file, forcing 'no initialization' of the device. Changed
> the setup in NMMGR; but same result, every spoolfile is printed,
> but still preceded with an '1L'.
>
> My question is: Has anybody succeeded in implementing this - or
> are we still forced to wait for HP enhancing Native Print to be
> able to work with non-HP printers?
>
> Any good ideas to solve this issue? I'm not quite familiar with
> Unispool yet - but maybe this product could do some
> character-substitution, changing '1L' (or Esc 1 L) to null ?

It sounds to me like there is still an initialization string being sent to
the printer, and it is wrong. The 1L looks suspiciously like the last 2
characters of the escape sequence that sets the perf-skip mode for the
printer. This is one of the most confusing and often garbled escape sequence
by the nature of the characters that is  composed of. Depending upon the
font used to display it many of the characters look the same. The sequence
should be:

<esc>&l1L   (disable skip over perf)
<esc>&lOL   (enable skip over perf)
      ^^
      ||_______ This character is either a zero or a one
      |         not a letter "O" or lower-case "L"

      ------This character is always a lower-case L, not a one

I suspect that you have an escape sequence somewhere that has an &1 (number
1) which the printer is ignoring, which leaves the 1L as printable
characters.

HTH.

Doug.

Doug Werth                             Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                               Cincinnati, Ohio

The opinions expressed do not  necessarily represent the views or
opinions of Beechglen Development. They might but not necessarily.
They represent solely the opinions of the author.