HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:09:55 -0700
At 09:58 AM 12/7/99 , Michel Gauthier wrote:
>I've been asked to find how to print barcodes from an HP3000 app to a
>Laserjet 4+. I have quite no idea to start with. I looked at a LaserJet4P
>manual to see if there was such a magical "font"... but there wasn't.
>In addition to the printer type, I have another restriction. The document
>(on which someone'd like to see the barcode)  already exists and its format
>uses a Formation's Form (from Tymlabs) that we created many years ago.
>Are there any people in this group who faced a similar situation? I would
>appreciate any help!

[I used to do some work on Formation and a few other Tymlabs and Unison
products but don't have any financial ties with them anymore so I figure no
<plug> is needed.]

If your document is already using Formation (and it sounds like it is) then
your solution is probably very simple.  Formation supports several popular
bar codes (you didn't say which one you need).  Chances are you already
have the tools to do what you want in Formation.  If you can't find it in
the manual (or can't find the manual  :), call support and they'll help you
figure it out.

Perhaps the problem is that you haven't kept up with Formation (and the
other products that Tymlabs offered) which unfortunately isn't too
unlikely.  In 1992 Tymlabs was bought by Unison Software (formerly
CCC).  In 1997 Unison was bought by Tivoli (who had been bought by IBM only
a year or two earlier, IIRC).  In 1998, a small company in Austin called
RStech bought Formation from Tivoli.  In 1999, RStech changed its name to
"ROC Software" and bought the rest of the former Tymlabs and Unison
products for MPE (I think, most of them in any case) from Tivoli.  (Last I
heard, Tivoli continues to own the NT and UNIX versions of those
products.)  ROC has grown substantially in doing so, has basically bet it's
existence on the MPE marketplace and not only is selling and supporting
those applications it's got good programmers and other technical and
marketing folks with many years MPE experience on staff now.  At least a
couple of those folks were with Tymlabs before Unison bought them, for
example.  (And you probably only need one guess to figure out where
www.tymlabs.com points now.  ;)

They can be reached at:

ROC Software, LP
13581 Pond Springs Rd., Ste. 107
Austin, TX 78729
Phone: 512-249-9294
Fax: 512-258-6968
www.rocsoftware.com

>TIA

You're very welcome.  :)  If you think of it, tell them I said "Hi!"
--
Jeff Woods