HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 19:19:25 -0600
If you use How Messy from Robelle, the monitoring and threshold checking can be
automated with builds of Adager commands to fix the capacities after hours. Or, get
DBGENERAL from Bradmark and the Automatic Capacity Manager will fix the capacities
after hours based on thresholds that are predefined.

Paul H Christidis wrote:

> What I'd like to see is user/site configurable 'event triggers'.  In other words
> the ability to specify certain
> actions to be taken when specific 'events' are detected by the image intrinsics.
>
> Some time ago an excelent discussion about MDX/DDX took place in this list.
>
> That discussion highlighted the fact that MDX and DDX are NOT intended to 'do
> away' with capacity
> management.  Their primary intent is to prolong the availability of the
> database, even at less than
> optimum performance, until a capacity change 'event' can 'safely' be scheduled.
>
> The 'event trigger' scheme could be used to cause the execution of a
> command/stream file that would
> 'notify' the person responsible for a specific database/application.
>
> Such a scheme would be of great use for 'operator less' sites where the system
> manager or the DBA/programmer is in charge of multiple databases and would
> alliviete the burden of constant  monitoring.
> He/She could 'configure' such a 'notification' command file and perhaps e-mail
> to himself or a central control
> point the 'expansion' event and the need of scheduling a capacity change job.
>
> Similar 'notifications' could be setup for a number of other events that could
> have adverse impact on the operation of the database.
>
> Regards
> Paul H. Christidis
>
> At 04:11 PM 11/30/1999 -0800, Stan Sieler wrote:
> >What kind of data do I want to see in the root file?   (Via the >expandable
> header mechanism that jumbo already uses)
>
> And let's not forget my personal favorite....
>
>     - IMAGE runtime error information, so tools (e.g. DBGeneral) can even more
>       quickly repair database problems and minimize any impact on data
>       availability.
>
> /jf

 Paul Edwards                     HP 3000 Certified Consultant
 Paul Edwards & Associates        Phone: (972) 242-6660
 1506 Estates Way                 Fax  : (972) 446-9022
 Carrollton TX 75006              Email: [log in to unmask]