HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 16:02:22 -0800
What I'd like to see is user/site configurable 'event triggers'.  In other words
the ability to specify certain
actions to be taken when specific 'events' are detected by the image intrinsics.

Some time ago an excelent discussion about MDX/DDX took place in this list.

That discussion highlighted the fact that MDX and DDX are NOT intended to 'do
away' with capacity
management.  Their primary intent is to prolong the availability of the
database, even at less than
optimum performance, until a capacity change 'event' can 'safely' be scheduled.

The 'event trigger' scheme could be used to cause the execution of a
command/stream file that would
'notify' the person responsible for a specific database/application.

Such a scheme would be of great use for 'operator less' sites where the system
manager or the DBA/programmer is in charge of multiple databases and would
alliviete the burden of constant  monitoring.
He/She could 'configure' such a 'notification' command file and perhaps e-mail
to himself or a central control
point the 'expansion' event and the need of scheduling a capacity change job.

Similar 'notifications' could be setup for a number of other events that could
have adverse impact on the operation of the database.

Regards
Paul H. Christidis

At 04:11 PM 11/30/1999 -0800, Stan Sieler wrote:
>What kind of data do I want to see in the root file?   (Via the >expandable
header mechanism that jumbo already uses)

And let's not forget my personal favorite....

    - IMAGE runtime error information, so tools (e.g. DBGeneral) can even more
      quickly repair database problems and minimize any impact on data
      availability.

/jf