UTCSTAFF Archives

December 1999

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"P.K. Geevarghese" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P.K. Geevarghese
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:05:36 -0500
Dr. Ware: Thank you for your comments on "Today's teens...."  But I am
concerned about your statement "troubling........."  The fact is that no
one in the world, socrates or Plato or Aristotle or even Thomas Aquinas,
formally recognized the reality of society in shaping human life and
life-chances until the C18th and 19th French and German scholars and
scientists.  I would have also missed it if it were not for the great
scholars like Tillich, Niebuhr and Pauck (New York) who suggested to me
the study of sociology during an oral examination to find answers to my
questions, after having taken graduate degrees in Theology, Philosophy and
History, I came to the recognition that "society" is the ultimate reality
that shapes human behavior---all others are facts and opinions. Of course
I want you to know that I admire the great Greek scholars and thinkers,
but, unfortunately they did not know enough about society that we know
now with the help of the French and german scholars!   Geevarghese