UTCSTAFF Archives

December 1999

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Donna Buckelew <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Buckelew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:26:09 -0500
Another course offered by SunTrust Chair of Excellence in Humanities this
spring of 2000:

Humanities 499
"History of the Self"
Thursdays, 5:30-8:00 PM
205 Brock Hall
Professor Wilfred M. McClay   SunTrust Chair of Excellence in Humanities

It's hard to imagine what our lives, and our present-day discourse, would
look like without the word "individualism" and "self."  All the more
reason, then, to remind ourselves that both are, in the broad sweep of
history, relatively novel concepts, with dramatic implications for the
social and political order.  How did the "self" emerge in Western thought?
And what is its likely future?  How, for example, are we to view the
postmodern understanding of the self as a ensemble of social roles, rather
than a unified entity?  These and other questions will be explored, through
reading of such authors as Charles Taylor, Isaiah Berlin, Ralph Waldo
Emerson, Christopher Lasch, Erving Goffman, Sherry Turkle, and others.

Dr. McClay's office is 311B Holt Hall with his mailing address 412C
Fletcher #6256
Phone no. directly to Dr. McClay is 5202 - secretary no. is 5206