HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 5

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:26:44 -0500
Stan Sieler wrote:

>> My contention is that for *large* amounts, using the root file
> is inappropriate *and* using an HP-defined new file is also inappropriate.
> Rather, I suggest that large amounts of data (say, vendor-implemented
> BLOBs?) be stored in a separate file(s), and that the expanded root file be
> used to simply record the *names* of those files ...in a manner clearly
> documented for use by utility authors.  (E.g., you really want backup
> products to backup associated files!)

FWIW, this strikes me as an excellent way to approach the issue.

Sounds like HP needs to officially spec recording "extra" things in the
root file and a way to mark (in the root file) filenames that must be
backed up.  This way, any vendor following the rules [or using a new? HP
DB____ call] could have what ever space is needed (either by adding, say
up to some modest max data size [how much?], in the root file, or by
"pointing" at additional files), but still have the protection of full
backup.   This approach also sets a working approach for "open"
enhancements to Image by 3rd parties (can you even imagine Oracle doing
this!).

TurboStore should, of course, be enhanced to follow these new backup
rules, too.
RG
--
Richard L Gambrell
Database Administrator and

** UTC business:
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  113 Hunter Hall, Dept. 4454
  615 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
  fax: 423-755-4025
  phone: 423-755-4551       email: [log in to unmask]

** other business or private:
  voice mail/phone: 423-874-0261  email: [log in to unmask]