HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 5

From:
Seamus Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Seamus Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:34:10 +0100
I would be interested in this too.
Wer're working with MPE/iX 6.0 on a 927LX with PowerHouse and an Image base
for our 70000 customers and we have 12 users plugged in.

We have an office that has just started in Spain and they are running
Filemaker Pro on a PC for with a database of 400 customers. Of course
everyone is delighted with the Windows look and feel and the buzz is getting
back here that text-based database applications are just too cumbersome and
old-fashioned. here in France it's budget time and this sort of question is
coming up now.
I have a gut feeling that what we have may be cumbersome but it's stable and
efficient and cost effective. MPE havs never crashed. We have never had a
machine fault. *
So what is on the market for us?
What are the options.. pros and cons .. etc. for moving to something
snazzier.
Is Axiant up to it ? Where do we go from here ?
Who's moving on to something else ?
Who's content with what he's got ?

It would be good to hear from you.
TIA
Seamus
---
* Except the day the power plug fell out of the back - it took me at least 5
minutes to figure out what had failed - but we plugged it back in again and
every user did a refresh screen and just carried on !!!!!