HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
Tom Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:05:10 +0000
MPE admin gurus,

I'm trying to do a v5.0 to v5.5 MPE/iX upgrade from DDS
tape and am having a serious problem.  The machine is
a series 957, 96MB RAM, five 1.35GB SCSI disks with a
DDS-2 DAT drive.  I am using the "update with tape" check
list.

The machine hangs on the reboot from primary boot path
after applying the v5.5 SLT (in my v5.5 System Software
Maintenance Manual, it's pages 5-6 thru 5-9 -- Applying
the SLT).  After booting from the alternate boot path,
doing the ISL>UPDATE, the files all restored successfully.
Then after confirming the date & time on the attempt
to boot from the primary boot path it hung.
After mounting all the volumes we got a few
more console messages and then the system just froze.
The last console messages were:

.
.
.
Mounting MEMBER on LDEV         2
START AGGREGATE RECOVERY OF   MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
SYSTEM RECOVERY COMPLETED for     MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
USERLOG RECOVERY COMPLETED  for   MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
NO PARALLEL PROCESSES FOR mount_all_volumes
-- Time spent in MOUNT_ALL_VOLUMES ->       19
Leaving MOUNT_ALL_VOLUMES
The current boot command has been saved in the system master
NMLG FILE NUMBER 710 ON
10:55/23/DCC STARTUP - ENTER - version C0200007 compiled 960426
[NETWORK_DUMP_SURR] version A.00.55.001

and that's where it hangs.  I tried this three separate times
using two different factory SLTs and it hung at the same spot
each time.

Using the instructions in appendix D of the v5.5
System Software Maintenance Manual I did a backdate to v5.0.
I just did the SLT portion, not the FOS & SUBSYS.  I figured
since I wasn't backdating a system that had been fully upgraded
those steps wouldn't be needed.  The system wasn't completely
happy with this after rebooting from disk though.  The network
stuff complained about version mismatches.  So I did a restore
from our last backup and now the system seems to be OK and back
where it started from.

Judging from the console messages that came from the last
bootup of v5.0 the system was almost all the way up when it hung.
For v5.0 it gives
[NETWORK_DUMP_SURR] version A.00.50.001
and then a few more messages, then the colon prompt.

What is it doing when it issues this "[NETWORK_DUMP_SURR]"
message?

Were there any v5.0 patches that were required before attempting
this upgrade?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom