HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
Per Ostberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]
cc: (bcc: Mark Wilkinson/UK/EU/SPE)
Subject: Humor vs. Humour

Tony Peters wrote
> P.S. I had a hard time getting HUMOR past my spellchecker, eh!

As a member of the Centre for Proper Spelling I must take the Yanks to task.
Johnson's dictionary came out about seven years before Webster's. Just
because you win one bloody war doesn't give you the right to change the
language. [...]49_24Nov199914:52:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:18:43 +0100
Meddelandetext (35 lines)
I posted a similar question ~2 years ago, regarding Fortran code
compiled with ;INFO="symdebug xdb on" and linked with ',xdbend.lib.sys'.
The answers I got (and from my live experience of then) indicated that
it did matter performance-wise (no mention of crash). The reasons being:
1) the running program needs to extensively check if there is a
breakpoint set
2) no optimization can be made by the compiler

this, of course, is highly application-dependent and I'm not sure
applicable to your situation. You can check the thread above in the
archives, the subject was 'xdb-info and performance'

hth
/per

Per Ostberg  / [log in to unmask]
phone +46-8-58581213 / fax +46-8-58587710
Huddinge University Hospital
ChemLab / C1 74 / S-141 86  HUDDINGE / SWEDEN