HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
"Newton, Ernie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:04:36 -0800
<snip>

 in later times, the "white men" did their level best to
wipe out all the Indian inhabitants of America and didn't get far from
achieving this objective. Is this really something to carry on
celebrating? Surely it really represents something that should be
remembered as America's shame, not a celebration?
<snip>

Why should I remember this with shame?  That period of time in North America
was brutal, from all sides.  I think it's time people got over it.  There is
nothing about this country that I feel shame about.  I never killed an
Apache, nor did I ever own a slave.  Different places, different times.  I,
being a veteran of Vietnam, am offended by these types of attitudes.

<snip>...

>Just my $.02 and I am sure that this American-centric list will not find
>my views popular but I just wanted to present an International viewpoint
>to the Thanksgiving thread.

<snip?

I think the international point is that this country is based on freedom and
opportunity, why else all the immigrants?  God bless the United States!
Just my $.02 worth.

Ernie Newton
Yolo County Office of Education