HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:38:56 -0800
Wirt writes:

> Wait three or four months and you'll be able to GUI-ify your COBOL programs
> on an HP3000 with surprisingly little work. More than that, the method will
> be (i) platform independent (an HP3000 will not be necessary; it's just that
> it's far and away our recommended platform for business-oriented software)
> and (ii) language independent.

With all due respect, and without missing the big picture, allow me a small
quibble with this.  Specifically, the claim for platform independence.

Given that this requires TWO platforms -- a host and a client -- claiming
"platform independence" requires (at least relative) independence on BOTH
sides.

I believe the real claim is for platform independence on the host side;
the client side most assuredly is not.  While the parenthetical qualification
in Wirt's post may have led the reader to infer this, I just thought it
worthwhile to state so explicitly.

FWIW.

--Glenn (probably just jealous ;)