HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Bruce Senn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:40:51 -0500
The discussion on these issues has been very helpful.

FWIW, here is my current plan.

Setting the time
================
Use SETCLOCK to set the clock ahead to the following dates and times.

12/31/1999  23:50  to observe date rollover to 01/01/2000
01/01/2000  09:00  for user testing
02/28/2000  23:50  to observe date rollover to 02/29/2000
02/29/2000  10:00  for user testing
02/29/2000  23:50  to observe date rollover to 03/01/2000

The system will be as "quiet" as possible -- no background jobs,
no network processes, almost as if a ^A=SHUTDOWN were next.  Then
restart background jobs as appropriate for user testing.

The HP Response Center has advised the following sequence of commands
and to use SHOWCLKS.PUBXL.TELESUP to check that everything is in sync.

SETCLOCK TIMEZONE=W500
SETCLOCK; CANCEL
SETCLOCK DATE=12/31/1999;TIME=23:50;NOW

I think as long as the time moves forward, the TIMEZONE and CANCEL are
probably not needed.

Recovery
========

Again make the system as "quiet" as possible and use the same sequence
of SETCLOCK commands to return to the current time.

SETCLOCK TIMEZONE=W500
SETCLOCK; CANCEL
SETCLOCK DATE=11/17/1999;TIME=13:00;NOW

Then a SHUTDOWN, INSTALL, and RELOAD.  I'll have two SLTs verified with
CHECKSLT and two validated Road Runner backups, a Full/Partial set and
a Full done immediately after the partial.

At the ISL> prompt the hardware clock can be checked with CLKUTIL and
changed it if necessary.

I tend to agree an INSTALL/RELOAD isn't necessary.  My reasoning (other
than wimping out to CmyA) is that I'm not likely to have another opportunity
to do a full recovery under such controlled and planned conditions.

Hope this might help others.

Bruce.

   Bruce J. Senn                             Phone:  (518) 388-6664
   Senior System Manager                     FAX:    (518) 388-6458
   Union College                   Internet:  [log in to unmask]
   Schenectady, NY 12308