HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:38:28 -0600
John,

For most of what you want, any current Mac (G3 iMac or G4 Mac tower) will
do.

For general info, try <http://guide.apple.com/usindex.html>, then pop on over to
the Apple Store at <http://www.apple.com/store> and check out the online system
configurator. (Not suggesting you buy
there, however; other online stores often have bundles or deals that make
it a better buy, such as free additional RAM, a third party floppy drive,
additional software, etc.)

A couple caveats:

> 6) Must have a floppy drive

AFAIK, floppy drives are a not a configurable option, there are however
third-party (usually external) drives available. Some are SCSI, some are
USB. Check <http://www.superdisk.com> for one option.

> 7) Must have a printer port

You won't find a parallel port on a Mac. Everything now is USB. *But*
there are converters for that, too. Check out <http://www.griffintechnology.com>
or <http://www.orangemicro.com>, they may have what you need. Alternatively,
since you mention
networking the box(es), you can get an external JetDirect box from HP for
around $150 and print to darn near anything!

As for recommendations:

> 4) Must be capable of connecting via NS-VT to an HP 3000 (classic)
>    via the LAN (and recommended terminal emulator)

You can use Reflection for Mac from WRQ or Sessions from Minisoft.
Minisoft's product isn't as pretty (at least the demo I got last year
isn't), but NS/VT is *built in* whereas WRQ charges an extra $250+ just
for that piece -- not cheap!

> 8) Must support one or both of (a) track ball, or (b) graphics tablet

This depends largely on the brand of peripheral and kind of connector your
device has. If the connector is right, most devices are supported, but
check with your vendor for drivers and such. If you are looking for
recommendations for new devices, Kensington has a good trackball record
(sorry, couldn't resist) and Wacom, iirc, is the tablet of choice for most
of the artists I know.

> 9) Must be fast enough to use the Windows emulator to run children's
>    existing Windows software (Math Blaster series, Age of Empires,
>    Civilization, Evolution, Oregon Trail II, etc.)

Stay away from refurbs and closeouts of older (sometimes G3-upgraded)
non-G3 PPC machines; they won't be fast enough to do adequate PC
emulation. The newer (300MHz and up) Macs are plenty fast enough.

You can go with Virtual PC (http://www.connectix.com) or SoftWindows
(http://www.insignia.com) for PC emulation. If you already have an installable
version of Windows
95, 98 or NT you can just buy the basic VPC for DOS and install the
desired (and I use the term loosely) Windows product yourself (within
licensing limitations, i.e. you can no longer use it on the original PC --
gotta stay legal :).

There's also something called Blue Label Power Emulator
(www.lismoresoft.com) but I don't have any experience with it. Oh, and a
good general site for the subject is <http://www.macwindows.com>.

Interesting side note on Mac/PC emulation: several months ago (actually
close to a year, now that I think about it) I was in CompUSA drooling over
some G3 boxes. One of them was running a non-Apple demo. Then I realized
that it was running it in Windows 98 using VPC! When I asked one of the
sales guys why they were doing this, he replied rather off-handedly, "The
demo keeps crashing the Compaqs, and we're tired of having to reinstall
the OS." 8^)

Overall, if you're looking to replace a couple of computers, I'd say an
iMac (333 MHz) for the kids and a G4 (at least 400MHz) for you. You may
even be able to use your existing monitor with the G4 -- check Griffin
Technology for converter/adapters.

Well, this should get you started. Hope all goes well for you, I've been a
happy Mac user (at home only, unfortunately; my company isn't as
forward-looking as Adager) since 1989. My trusty old Mac IIcx still plays
most of the games the kids like (Math Blaster series; Oregon Trail, etc.)
and my G3-upgraded StarMax (clone) handles the rest. :-)

Patrick Santucci
Technical Services Analyst
KVI, a division of Seabury & Smith, Inc.
-------------------- Lotus "Knots" Reply Separator --------------------
Please respond to John Korb <[log in to unmask]>