HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:10:35 -0600
Our network guy in charge of remote access, whom I'll call Tim (not a fake
name), wants to start sending out Wyse WinTerm PC's to our in-home users
instead of full-blown PC's. Those users who need PC-type capabilities will
be setup for thin client access to our Citrix WinFrame server.

For users who only need access to an HP3000, he wants to use HP700/92
emulation, but there's a catch. According to Tim, Wyse had an agreement
with HP to make terminals, and used the knowledge gained to create an HP
emulator for the WinTerm. (And no, I don't know if that was part of the
deal or not.) HP has recently announced they are getting out of the
terminal market (which was news to me) and Tim wants to use the 700/92
emulation in the WinTerm, but Wyse says they can't turn that on until they
get it released by HP. (His words. Not 100% sure, but I think he means
until HP releases them from the prior agreement.)

Does anyone have any pull with HP to get this emulation released so Wyse
can give it to us to load on the WinTerm? Tim says "I have the phone
number of the president of Wyse in my pocket, all I need is for someone at
HP who has the authority to give the OK."

Having a unified solution like the WinTerm would solve a lot of problems
for us, but I don't even know where to start, so I'm hoping someone here
has some pull. Feel free to respond directly if you're shy about
announcing this to the list. I can put you in touch with Tim or you can
deal with me, whichever you'd like.

TVMIA,
Patrick

Patrick Santucci
Technical Services Analyst
KVI, a division of Seabury & Smith, Inc.