HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Noel Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noel Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:35:27 -0500
Gavin Scott wrote:

> > I recall hearing that it is not necessary to recompile a program
> > just because a new item has been added to a dataset.  That is of
> > course that the program declares each item being accessed and
> > that "all-list" is not used on the affected set.   The dispute is
> > that you must recompile regardless of how the list is defined in
> > the program.

Maybe not absolutely necessary, but a MUCH better practice.  As
mentioned
by others, You can get into many problems if you don't recompile.  If
you
use a copylib or a $INCLUDE for the data description then the changes
are
easier and the compiles just a matter of streaming a job with compiles
of
all the programs involved.

My $.02 worth.

Nick D.