HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:01:36 -0800
Re:

> Gentle HP 3000 List Members,  I read further the finding from judge Penfield
> Jackson regarding Microsoft.  In my opinion, it is a fanciful revision of
> history.  I have been in the business for 25 years and I have seen the

The revisionism here is in Denys' writing, unfortunately.  The judge didn't
attempt to make a determination of "what has occurred over the
last 25 years."  At best, he's saying: hey, over the last 5 or so years, Microsoft
has been a bully.

The facts that have been presented thus far should make it pretty clear, even
to the most ardent Microsoft apologist: they've acted like a classic monopoly.

You might adore Microsoft;  You might think that government shouldn't be
concerned with private enterprise.  That doesn't change how Microsoft *acted*.
(It can, of course, affect what happens next.)

> to say about this.  One of the ones I used to read faithfully is Jerry
> Pournelle.  He had been writing a monthly column in Byte magazine for as long

Me too...as a computer professional from about 1972, I enjoyed watching
him grow over the years, from a rank computer neophyte when his column
started to a highly competent computer journalist.  However, that doesn't
mean he's always 100% accurate.

BTW, the earliest date mentioned in the Judge Jackson's finding of fact
is 1981, in paragraph 6.  Hardly 25 years....and that's only there as part of
a brief history of MS-DOS.  Even casual reading of the findings
show that the earliest actions covered by it are "mid 1990s", hence my
accurate "5 years or so".

Stan Sieler

Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html          www.allegro.com/sieler