HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
James Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:23:01 -0500
That would all depend on the nature of the program. If the IO is small
fcontrol the critter. (Small meaning few, not size of records) Otherwise XM
would be good, thought XM handled most IO's. When you restarted the machine
did you tell it not to recover. My understanding of XM is that all
transactions done to a disc are buffered in a known area, disc log, and then
as time permits or space it is then sent to the respective areas on the
disc. Thus when the system goes done the XM then, looking into the log sees
what was done and not done and finishes the IO's.
But then again I could be wrong. Instead of attaching to XM, I thought you
had to do something special to detach from the XM to speed up your IO's with
the added risk of losing data. Programs which can be restarted without
much-a-do are ready candidates for this.

James