HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]
Phone: 513-248-5029
Fax: 513-248-2672
----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: dave.knispel <[log in to unmask]>;
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 2:22 PM
Subject: Re:email from MPEiX

> Dave,
>
> I've been using JTMAIL on our HP3000, batch and on-line, for over 4 years.
>
> Paul

> Subject: email from MPEiX
> Date: 11/3/99 10:25 AM
>
> Anyone had experience emailing from a [...]56_3Nov199915:21:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 23:08:41 -0500
Wirt writes in reply to [log in to unmask],

> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > It appears that since 10/30/99 list traffic has not been
> getting echoed to
> >  the usenet newsgroup comp.sys.hp.mpe and vice versa.  What
> needs to be done
> >  to correct this situation?
>
> I have three different ways to read comp.sys.hp.mpe, using
> three different
> news readers (not counting Deja.com). I've generally found
> that none of them
> are 100% reliable. Indeed, some don't even make 50%. However,
> after saying
> that, the AOL reader tends to be quite good and is by far and
> away the most reliable.

Unfortunately, the way Usenet works, some servers take everything fed to them,
and others filter on whatever they feel like filter on.

We send everything out, and yes, I did ask Wirt to check on the feed as there
were changes made in network topology and location.

Lastly, there is only one authoritative News Server for HP3000-L, and that
happens to be our gateway, and we are not opening that for public use, at least
not at this time.  We only keep 7 days worth of postings there anyway.

If your newsfeed is not picking up comp.sys.hp.mpe -- check dejanews.com.  If
it's there, and not on your newsfeed, then your ISP is slow, or is not picking
up our feeds.  Either way, I would complain, if your ISP is not reacting fast
enough.  Most feeds are picked up within 30 minutes.  2nd and 3rd tier ISPs
sometime take a bit longer (several hours).

Sorry you are having problems, but these cannot be attributed to the gateway.
It's functioning well.

Regards,
Joe Geiser