HP3000-L Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 18:39:25 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> It appears that since 10/30/99 list traffic has not been getting echoed to
>  the usenet newsgroup comp.sys.hp.mpe and vice versa.  What needs to be done
>  to correct this situation?

I have three different ways to read comp.sys.hp.mpe, using three different
news readers (not counting Deja.com). I've generally found that none of them
are 100% reliable. Indeed, some don't even make 50%. However, after saying
that, the AOL reader tends to be quite good and is by far and away the most
reliable.

Joe Geiser asked me last week to monitor the progress of articles posted on
comp.sys.hp.mpe and see if they are making it across the gateway in both
directions. By my measures, everything is cooking right alone. The transit
time from my sending an message to the HP3000-L list server to seeing it
appear on the newsgroup is now down to about 5-20 minutes, as short as it's
ever been. Equally impressive, I'm not even seeing any messages dropped from
AOL's newsreader.

The USENET is more a less a best effort arrangement -- and it's clear that
some newsreader's best efforts aren't all that good. But whatever the
problems are at the moment, I don't think it's Joe's fault. AOL appears to be
picking up comp.sys.hp.mpe properly and quickly -- and vice versa.

Indeed, even the original version of this message, which was posted
originally to HP3000-L, has already made it to both AOL's newsreader and
Deja.com.

Wirt Atmar