UTCSTAFF Archives

November 1999

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Steven Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:43:54 -0500
At 09:00 AM 11/16/99 -0500, Jim Hiestand wrote:
>I have been discouraged from attending the Instructional Excellence
>Retreat in recent years by the format (aside from the fellowship) which is
>basically the "gimmick" of the year (humor, writing, group learning,
>technology, etc.)  The evaluation forms always ask how we are going to use
>that year's topic in our teaching.  The presumption, a false one in my
>opinion, is that we will (and *ought*) to use that year's method.
>
>I have always considered good teaching to be mostly a matter of
>fundamentals and paying attention to details (e.g. speaking clearly,
>controlling the pace of the class and assignments, preparing tests
>carefully).  Good teaching styles may vary widely but be effective if they
>get the basics right.

I'll stick my neck out a little on this topic. :-)

Jim's point is well taken; our students are not always particularly
well-focused, well prepared or motivated for class.  I recall that when I
began teaching in a college almost a decade ago that the students seemed
better prepared for college.  I remember colleagues saying the same thing
about *that* generation of students at that time.  Maybe it's true, but if
we are educators, then we have made a commitment to reach these students.

It seems that most people in "education" (and I certainly include myself in
this group, having taught music education to prospective music teachers
before) are seeking the "magic bullet" that will connect with the students
and grab their attention.  Most of the time, though, teaching is about
communicating the fundamentals of one's discipline clearly and having clear
expectations for the students in the class.  Planning also helps a lot.  I
also find that changing my approach frequently helps keep me fresh and the
class more involved.

Unfortunately, it seems that a large part of our student population at UTC
is interested in "getting through" college with the absolute minimum
required effort to pass, getting out, and getting a job as quickly as
possible.  Only later do they realize the educational opportunities
squandered in the name of "getting by".  Not every student, I agree; one of
my favorite UTC students replied, when I asked her why she chose to come
here, replied (with some surprise at my question): "To get a good
education!"  She has her priorities straight, IMHO.

As teachers, we owe it to our students to have high expectations for them,
and to mean it.  This sometimes requires us to come in conflict with an
unmotivated student; we can either choose to let the student slide by, or
we can get "in their face" and demand more from them.  Most of the time, I
have found that they are *capable* of much more than even they believe, but
it is uncomfortable for most to reach beyond their own expectations and
find a new level.  But when it happens, the difficulty and grief is all
worthwhile.

Last year, my orchestra performed the very difficult Symphony no. 2 in D by
Jean Sibelius.  It was probably at the very limit of their abilities, and I
took a fairly large risk in programming it.  What did we focus on?  The
fundamentals of making music as a group, of course.  The students responded
to this magnificent work of art by redoubling their efforts (complaining
about how difficult it was!) and giving an excellent rendition of this
music for an undergraduate university orchestra.  Was it the New York
Philharmonic, or even the Chattanooga Symphony?  Of course not!  But each
and every student in the UTC Symphony that semester came into intimate
contact with GREAT ART.  The struggles portrayed in the music were
reflected in their efforts to come to grips with the most difficult music
they had ever personally encountered.  And they LEARNED.

We should acknowledge that learning is not easy, and that it requires
effort on the part of *both* student and instructor.  If the student is not
willing to invest time and effort in the process, no amount of educational
gimmickry will help motivate them.

Just my two cents worth,

Steve Bird

Dr. Steven Bird