HP3000-L Archives

October 1999, Week 5

From:
Robert Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 07:25:55 -0400
At 02:24 AM 10/29/1999 GMT, Harriett Hurdle wrote:
>Yeah, I had the same problem today in trying to download the latest version
>of Patch/iX for 5.5 from the jazz web server. I downloaded it to my PC via
..
>a better way to get the latest version of Patch/ix (B.00.17) other than
>getting it on tape from the Response Center and what might I be doing wrong?

I had the same problems too!  I used Netscape 4.7 to download the patches
and the Patch/iX for 6.0.  I never could get Patch/iX via the web (RC sent
me a tape).  I was able to download the patches by using the FTP
alternative.  I'm no expert on HTTP, but it seems that there is a timeout
(approx. 3 minutes) when using the default download option, the only option
for Patch/iX, since I got a different file size each time I did the
download.  Since I have a 128K ISDN connection and because of the volume of
traffic on the Internet during the day, I had to download the files early
in the morning to be able to complete in 3 minutes.  If you can't download
Patch/iX via the web, your only choice is to request it via tape.  The FTP
alternative for patches worked fine for me.  It would be nice if the
Patch/iX download also had this alternative.

And I thought I was the only one having these problems!

Robert D. Andrew
Computing Options Company
301.662.5592.x13 - Voice
301.662.5866     - FAX