HP3000-L Archives

October 1999, Week 5

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:53:25 -0800
Joseph Whitlock wrote:

> HP3000 Folks,
>
> I am continuing to investigate this wierd and wonderful Posix porting
> world.
> (I am a complete ignoramous on many elements gcc, ld (ie;c89 - ld2),
> make etc...)

...snip...

> SITE133 MANAGER.SYS
> /tar_files/DBD-ODBC-0.22/iodbcsrc/libiodbc-2.50.3>./configure

...snip...

> checking for dlopen... (cached) yes

Oops.  Configure scripts sometimes get things wrong.  There is no dlopen() on
MPE.

Make sure you modified your configure script according to
http://www.bixby.org/mark/porting.html (the first item under "Scripts").
Unmodified GNU configure scripts will think that functions exist when they do
not.

...snip...

> SITE133 MANAGER.SYS
> /tar_files/DBD-ODBC-0.22/iodbcsrc/libiodbc-2.50.3/samples>odbctest
> UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: strdup  (LDRERR 512)

No strdup() on MPE either.  Possibly configure thought this one existed too.

> UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: dlopen  (LDRERR 512)
> UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: dlsym  (LDRERR 512)
> UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: dlerror  (LDRERR 512)
> UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: dlclose  (LDRERR 512)

None of the dlxxx() functions exist on MPE.  However, Steve Hoogheem's POSIX
wrappers from jazz has an implementation that covers the most likely usage.  I
believe there's also a strdup() in there.

It's possible that if configure realizes that dlopen() doesn't exist, the code
may be capable of static linking instead of dynamic loading.

- Mark B.