HP3000-L Archives

October 1999, Week 5

From:
Thomas Madigan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Madigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 09:00:29 -0400
Scott:

What else besides the HPIB card is hanging off the channel adapter card?
Is a device adapter card containing disk drives also attached to the same
CA card that the HPIB card is attached to?  If so, is the corrupted data
base at least partially on any of those drives?  You can get the hardware
layout via SYSGEN or IOMAP.PRVXL.TELESUP (or is it IOMAP.MPEXL.TELESUP?).

It sounds like (and I'm no hardware expert) a channel adapter card is
getting ready to call it a day.  You *did* say that you swapped out the
HPIB card and everything booted up OK; however, since no disk devices are
on that card, it doesn't seem logical that the "bad" HPIB card would cause
corruption in a data base or any other files.  On the other hand, if the
channel adapter card is heading South, then the CA card may be causing data
corruption.

By all means, do the FSCHECK you suggested.  Make sure no one else is on
the system; otherwise, you'll get false errors from FSCHECK.  The "CA ALL"
command in FSCHECK is what you want to use.  Also, did Predictive log any
errors?  Have you noticed an unusual amount of Type 111 (I/O) errors in
your system log files?

Just a few random thoughts, Scott!!  Perhaps someone who is more hardware
savvy can chime in here with a more knowledgeable answer.  Best of luck!!!

Tom Madigan
HP Systems Manager
International Communications Research, Inc.
605 West State St.
Media, PA 19063-2620
Voice/voice mail:  (610) 565-9280 x. 450
Facsimile:         (610) 565-2369
Email:             [log in to unmask]

At 03:31 AM 10/30/99 -0400, Scott Root wrote:
>Need comments please.
>Scenario,
>Thursday AM we discover a hardware problem, 3 printers and 2 mag drives all
>strung together off the same HPIB card are down, system cannot find the
>physical device. So we have all users log off, take the system down, power
>everything off and then reboot, no luck so we take it down again and swap
>out the card. Reboot, all devices are there, all drives mounted and
>available, everything seems fine so users log back on. Discover a problem
>early AM Friday with batch processes in two databases, five on system. Some
>how we have child records in the SVC_DETAIL dataset that have no parent
>records in the MASTER dataset. Discspace throughout this time frame was
>consistently above 22 million free sectors with no one drive having less
>than 1 million free. Checked bootlog as well as other log files to no avail.

[rest snipped]