HP3000-L Archives

October 1999, Week 3

From:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:57:09 -0700
At 10:31 AM -0700 10/18/99, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I received an email from the NEW?  HP IT Resource center, some lister
>probably have too.  I will include the email here.  I've tried accessing
>the new web site and I get an error message saying the url can't be
>found, or the web sites server may be down.
>
>If anyone else has received this email I would like to know if they are
>having the same trouble I am having.

Do you have cookies turned off?

I just tried to access the site, and could not as long as I denied cookies.
I declined at least 50 cookies, noting that the server seemed to be caught
in some kind of loop not being able to set cookies. So I finally relented.
Once I accepted cookies the site loaded just fine.

This is very annoying. IMHO, a site that requires cookies in order to
function normally is flawed. The only exceptions are perhaps online
shopping sites that use cookies to track what's in your "shopping cart", or
perhaps secure financial sites, like banks and brokerage firms. Aside from
these, requiring cookies is a bogus practice.

Let the flame war begin.

Barry Lake                                 [log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants, Inc.                  www.allegro.com
(408)252-2330