HP3000-L Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Hans Hendriks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hans Hendriks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:20:24 -0700
Eben Yong asked:
>Here's the SUPRTOOL file layout:
>
>    File: Z1.EBEN.AIHBETA     (SD Version B.00.00)
>       Entry:                     Offset
>          A                    X6      1
>          ST-TOTAL-1           P28     7
>    Limit: 28  EOF: 28  Entry Length: 20  Blocking: 64
>
>how do I define the ST-TOTAL-1 field in the COBOL program?

Here's the appropriate section of the Suprtool winhelp file:

Suprtool uses a P28 field, an R4 field, or an E4 field for keeping totals.
If the field to be totaled is real or long-real (R2 or R4), the total is a
long-real (R4).  If the field to be totaled is IEEE (E2 or E4), the total is
IEEE-64 (E4).  If the field to be totaled is any other numeric type, the
total field is packed-decimal (P28).  When an overflow occurs, Suprtool
prints an error message and stops the current operation, unless Set Ignore
is On.

Some versions of COBOL do not allow a field greater than 18 digits.  To use
the P28 field, you must define the first five bytes of the field as filler.
For example,

     05  ST-TOTAL01.
         10 FILLER                      PIC X(05).
         10 TOTAL-1                     PIC S9(17) COMP-3.

PowerHouse users should define this field as follows:

     Define Total   packed size 14

Totals are formatted and displayed in a form that is understood by people.
If you want to return total values to a program, see the Calling Suprtool
user manual.

HTH

/Hans

Hans Hendriks, Robelle Consulting Ltd