HP3000-L Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:26:28 -0700
Bob writes:
> Has anybody compiled a list of system programs that are good
> candidates for OCTCOMP, and/or a list of those that should
> not be done?  In particular FCOPY, SORT, and EDITOR are used

excellent question!

I'm forwarding a copy of this note to Donna Garverick, chairperson
of SIGSYSMAN, because I think it's a question that should be
answered by HP ... answered permanently by having them start
shipping FCOPY, SORT, etc, in OCT'd form, and having a
OCTREAD.PUB.SYS file that describes which HP CM programs
are *not* safe to OCTCOMP!

I haven't tested it in the last 10 years or so, but the last
time I OCT'd CMSTORE.PUB.SYS it was a disaster...it corrupted
files.  My general rule of thumb: if it's got PM capability,
I don't OCT it without checking with the vendor (including HP).

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                         http://www.allegro.com/sieler/