HP3000-L Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:39:56 -0400
Winston Kriger writes:

<good stuff snipped>

> ...Most of the cases of NT problems that I have investigated at customer
> sites have to do with inappropriate hardware/drivers  (i.e. "junk"),  poorly
> designed 3-party software
> apps, and/or lack of good system management/tuning.    My ZEOS was
> written-off almost 4 years ago,
> and is still a valuable asset here at Cactech.  The 'TCO' is
> probably the lowest of any system here.

<Please, no flames from Unix and/or Mac owners -- this is not a bash the non-NT
users message>

Here, we have several NT servers, performing various functions.  Only one has
given me fits and that had to with just what Winston said - a driver that was
garbage (and has since been replaced).

Basically, NT servers are quite reliable.  Most of the problems I've seen with
client servers are those where the customer thinks (s)he may know what they are
doing in setting them up, and then messes it up - especially if there's a SCSI
interface.

It comes down to this:  If you've never done it before - then just like MPE,
read up on it and plan the install - or have your OEM or your friendly
NT-knowledgable consultant do it for you.  There are many of us who have NT
servers, like them a lot, and no, they do not crash as often as people would
like you to think.  Only ill-configured servers will crash like that.  Any
system that's ill-configured or ill-maintained will crash - either immediately,
or eventually.

If you have Mac servers (Adager uses them a lot and loves them) - great.  They
are a good system as well!  Just like Windows though - some like them, some
hate them - there are very few "in the middle".  Unix servers?  Well, again,
just like Macs - it's a love or hate relationship, with a few who may be "in
the middle".

I know that what we need to do, we can get done with the 3000 and NT both
sharing the load - and NT servers we have put into service, are still cranking
along with no blips on the radar that I've seen.

Cheers,
Joe