HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 5

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:01:00 -0400
Jon

> The important take away, that I believe BizNetTech and Carleton are making,
> is that the HP3K is both handling the transaction volume, and reliably
> supporting IP access from a variety of front-ends. Too many of these stories
> never get told. I believe that 600 transaction/hour is small potatoes for
> the 289 (Ford Mustang reference) of midrange servers.

Actually, that was over 600 students per hour, not 600 transactions.  There
were many more transactions for both Bookware and for WBS - more than one
transaction per student.  Each book purchased represents several transactions
for Bookware, each request for a full book list from the web represented
multiple transactions (1 course may yield an average of 4-5 books - each a
record in the database).

I can say with confidence, since I was there watching this mayhem (wall-to-wall
people) - the 918 and 928 were running at peak performance.

Regards,
Joe