HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 5

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:59:08 -0400
When using Image/SQL (regardless of the driver), an extra layer of security is
provided - provided by the Allbase portion of Image/SQL.

This problem is one that plagues a lot of users, especially first-timers.

After attaching the database with IMAGESQL.PUB.SYS, the DBE "knows" the creator
user of the database.  Depending on the version, the creator will get MODE 5
access to the DBE and the attached TurboIMAGE database.  This can be changed
easily with the UPDATE USER command in IMAGESQL.PUB.SYS as such:

  UPDATE USER CREATOR@ACCOUNT TO MODE=1

Which takes care of that.  Now - to add new users that the DBE *does not* know
about about - use IMAGESQL again, and use the ADD USER command.  Add each user
(in this case, ODBC@ACCOUNT) with the appropriate access mode or TurboIMAGE
class.  Once done, this takes care of the problem.

This is one area that wasn't documented so clearly - and causes quite a few
headaches when someone uses Image/SQL for the first time.  Once this is done
though, it should be set.

I won't get into the merits of whether this is good or not as it will just
start a "I like it" - "I hate it" type of discussion.  Suffice it to say that
it does keep unauthorized users, even if they have access to data using other
applications, out of SQL part of this.

Regards,
Joe (who found this out the hard way, a while ago)