HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
Steve Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask] Mail Account
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:36:32 -0400
Rich,
The key is how clean do you want the disk.  As stated in the original email,
the "formatvol" command within volutil will completely reformat the disk and
get rid of everything.  The drive can then be initialized back to the
volume_set and re-used.  If this level of cleanup is not necessary, then
simply purging the files and/or groups and/or accounts will make it very
difficult (if not impossible) to recover any of the data.  My understanding
is that when a file is purged the "fil_disc" routine is call to overwrite
the disk area where the file(s) was allocated.  I haven't personally tested
this out so others can validate or correct me on this part.

Steve Cole
Outer Banks Solutions, Inc.
www.outerbankssolutions.com
Phone: 919.231.2171  Fax: 919.231.7077