HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
Keven Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keven Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:59:46 -0600
1. The original pascal source only had "TapeCOPY" or "TAPECOPY".
I guess I introduced "TapeCopy".

2. The new C source has all the old comments from the pascal source. (Plus
some).

3. It's available on jazz on the Freeware page in a tar file. It contains 2
files
        tapecopy   (the program),
        tapecopy.readme (the comments and C source)
But no info on getting it to your HP (if using WINZIP to untar it).
        ftp>bin
        ftp>pub tapecopy tapecopy;rec=128,,f,binary;code=NMPRG

4. I have been trying to get an email auto-response scenerio working so you
could just email a request for it (mailto: [log in to unmask]
  subject: #tapecopy --- doesn't work yet!)
The STORE file I have ready to give has the original pascal source,
the new C source (version 2.2) and the program.

5. The tape device is opened with rec=-32760, the current largest supported
size using FREAD (as I understand). I have read a tape created with
MAXTAPEBUF=32768. The secret here is that that buf size may rarely be used;
maybe only for files that are large (more testing needed).  If the tape
directory is
large, that can be MAXTAPEBUF and reading it will be a problem.
It should warn you if it actually reads a record that is 32760 bytes long!

6. I converted it to C, by choice, and wanted to learn to use long map
pointers.

By request, I can email the STORE file I have.

 Keven Miller   KC7LYD  ICQ 5721825
 [log in to unmask]   (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)