HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:49:21 -0600
At 10:29 PM -0500 9/27/99, Carl McNamee wrote:

>Thanks to everyone who responded.  We were able to run Adagers therapy
>against the problem databases and fix some "chuck file" problems.  It is
>still a mystery why this happened.

As the other thread ("ImageSQL Question") shows, it is hard to keep
the "various parts of a whole" in synchrony.  Carl's original post
was:

>We had a system crash this afternoon and had to reinstall the System Volume.
>During testing of the system afterwards some of our jumbo databases on a
>private volume are giving us the following error and we cannot figure out
>why!  Any help will be appreciated.

A system crash is not a pretty sight.  Even the HP3000, MPE/iX, and
IMAGE, with all of their built-in redundancies and safeguards, lose a
pointer or two (or get some critical timestamp out of whack) under
duress.  Fortunately, instead of just forging ahead blindly (as many
substandard systems do), IMAGE produces an explicit error message and
quits whenever it detects something untoward.

>Special thanks to Rene at Adager for taking the time to work with me this
>evening!

Let me add my personal thanks to Rene for his total dedication.

I am delighted to see that Carl's problem (at least THIS problem) has
been solved.  I hope there were no other consequences from his system
crash.  We were all standing by for him and we are pleased to see his
system up again.  An HP3000 that is down is not a good thing.

  _______________
|            r  |  Alfredo                            [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                                  http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego                       +1 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs               Fax +1 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000                   U.S.A.