HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
JIM McINTOSH <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JIM McINTOSH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:26:10 GMT
Gentle Listers,

We performed a Y2K test last week where we rebooted the system to dates in
the year 2000.  Afterwards, we reloaded our system.  The first time we
attempted to access TURBOGTX, we received error messages that indicated a
corruption in the file:

99/09/27 10:05:08 500 [Allbase]IMAGE/SQL error 164; TurboIMAGE error -242;
TurboIMAGE intrinsic 420, & Auxiliary error 6554488.  (DBERR 13552)

OS version 5.5 pp4.

The response center recommended purging the file.  We did and the error, of
course, went away when the file was recreated by the first process that
needed it.  I have researched in the manuals and this list's archives the
subject of TURBOGTX and cannot find why or how this file becomes corrupt.

Since we have been using the same TURBOGTX file since 1997 without
corruption, I do not believe that it is a coincidence that after this past
week's activities, it is now corrupt.  My imagination runs wild with
thoughts that this file was not properly restored during reload and entries
in it refer to dates in the future causing the system to be very confused,
resulting in the above error.

Therefore, my questions are: 1) what are the known scenarios that corrupt
the TURBOGTX file?  2) if the error truly does point to mistakes made during
the reload, what other enjoyment might we look forward to?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Jim McIntosh
Professional Data Systems, Inc.