HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:44:42 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
I don't think that FCOPY will give you numeric edited fields (PIC 9 DISPLAY,
right?) in ASCII. You can manipulate EBCDIC in SuprTool using "the $etoa or
$atoe functions to convert specific fields from EBCDIC to ASCII or vice
versa." (from help), so you could expand packed decimal to numeric edited
while you are at it with sufficient scripting.

But packed decimal is the same in either codeset, and does not require
translation. Can you live with packed decimal in ASCII? FCOPY
;EBCDICIN(3:7;14:27),EXCLUDE will allow you to exclude ranges of chars when
translating EBCDIC to ASCII. 3:7,14:27 means exclude from column 3 through
column 7 and column 14 through column 27. Alternately, you could use
3,5;14,14 to start excluding from column 3 for 5 columns and from column 14
for 14 columns, with the same result.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com