HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
Mark Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:15:09 +0100
Dear All,

I'm successfully running Sendmail/iX in "nullclient" mode. Basically, this just
forwards all mail received to a named server (in our case a Linux box that can
route mail through the firewall). In this configuration, no "proper" SMTP/ESMTP
mailers are defined.

Now, I'm trying to send a message *to* myself on that server and am getting
"unknown user". For example, I'm logged on as MGR.SENDMAIL and I try to send a
message to MGR.SENDMAIL on the same machine. I've tried both the unqualified
address (MGR.SENDMAIL) and the qualified one ([log in to unmask])
without success.

I looked in mail.log for more info/clues as to what is happening but could find
nothing informative. I have a gut feeling that it's
something to do with the nullclient config (seems to be very much an
"outbound-only" type of config).

I also tried sending mail from a linux box to these addresses but they are also
being rejected with "invalid user".

I could reconfigure in a more standard way, however this machine cannot do SMTP
exchange with servers outside the firewall.

I'm looking at using email as a way of transferring EDI files to and from
customers (outside the firewall).

Any ideas?

Mark Wilkinson.
SPE.