HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
"Paul H. Christidis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:49:00 -0700
Rich,

The same question was posed in this list a few years back.  One of the
suggestions, at that time, was to place the drive into a special device class
and then build on it a dummy database with a large enough capacity to take up
the entire drive.  This relied on the fact that dbutil would initialize the
entire dataset to binary zeroes as part of the 'building' process.

Although I have not used it myself, the following 'schema' could be used,
provided the right capacity and blocking factor are used.

Regards
Paul Christidis

    $CONTROL NOLIST,ROOT,TABLE,LINES=60

    BEGIN DATA BASE erase;

    PASSWORDS:
        10 XXXXX;
        20 YYYYY;

    ITEMS:
       Dummy-Item       ,   2 x128;

    SETS:
       NAME:   Dummy-Set,      DETAIL (10/20), DummyDev;
       ENTRY:
             dummy-item      ;

       CAPACITY:   10000;   <<use approp. Cap>>   << Dummy-Set >>

END.