HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:00:54 -0400
Lars Appel wrote:

> Joe wrote...
> >I cannot vouch for disc-file-based-:STORE as I cannot create them, and
> haven't
> >had the chance to try a :RESTORE from one.  All I know is that TurboStore/iX
> >7-by-24 is the only version that can create them.
>
> You can create them, thanks to Keven's TapeCopy enhancements. You just
> have to take the DDS or tape or DLT detour i.e. create the STORE media
> that you'd like to distribute over web or ftp or CD or whatever, and
> then TapeCopy it to disk. Check LISTF,2 and it should be StoreToDisk
> format. Confirm with FILE x;DEV=DISC and RESTORE *x;;LISTDIR or VSTORE.
>
> Keven did prove that OpenSource even works in MPE land. Kudos to Keven.
> Lars.

Am I crazy, or do we all appreciate just how marvelous this really is?
That is, "store to disk" *really* is "store" (tape) on "disk".  What was
on the tape, put on disk, and you have "store to disk" format. It's not
some new, special "format", it's just the store tape file on disk!  Why is
this special?  Because it's so simple and it actually works.

--
Richard L Gambrell
Database Administrator and

** UTC business:
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  113 Hunter Hall, Dept. 4454
  615 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
  fax: 423-755-4025
  phone: 423-755-4551       email: [log in to unmask]

** other business or private:
  voice mail/phone: 423-874-0261  email: [log in to unmask]