HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
Paul Courry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Courry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:45:46 -0700
My .02 cents:

Solution 1:
*If* you are using a dumb terminal for the system console I believe they still have a key sequence you can type that locks and
unlocks the keyboard. This feature was implemented a couple of decades ago with the HP264X series of terminals and never
taken out I believe. I believe the sequence is Escc to lock and Escb to unlock, (upper and lower cases are critical). You will
have to verify this in the back of your terminal manual. It will defeat even SM capability, however please test this thoroughly a
power on reset *may* defeat it (YMMY).
If you are using a PC for the console, don't bother because they can simply start a new session.

Solution 2:
Establish a systemlevel NOBREAK LOGON NOHELP UDC that only applies to LDEV 20, make it require an additional
password as follows:

LOGON
OPTION LOGON NOBREAK NOHELP
XEQ FUBAR.SECRET.SYS
***************************

The code resides in FUBAR
The group secret is setup for GU access
The operator is required to sign as HELLO OPERATOR.SYS,SECRET
Only someone who can sign on to the SYS account can even look at FUBAR unless they have OP or SM capability.
If they do have SM or OP capability then make it a program instead of an XEQ and keep the source code on tape in your desk.
A smart programmer could still crack the password by reading the binary program though.
Note: to keep someone from using HELLO ......;PARM=-1 though you must go into the MISC section of SYSGEN though and
turn ENFORCELOGONUDCS ON.

Solution 3:
Lock the keyboard in your desk.

Hopefully at least 1 of my solutions is unique enough to merit consideration. Remember, sometimes security is obtained
through obscurity!