HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:49:33 -0400
I really should let Jeff K write this, but I can't wait.:-)

"VMARTYN.UK.ORACLE.COM" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Richard Gambrell wrote:
... >
> > On a related note, even if Oracle 8 isn't available for MPE, I'd at
> > least like to see (and we actually need here at UTC) Oracle client (i.e.
> > sql*net, pro* compiler support, etc.) supported and availble for MPE.
> > That would provide MPE programs access to Oracle DBs on other servers
> > and improve MPE integration with the rest of the computing world.
>
> In my words;
> You would like client access via Sql*Net and Pro* languages, well......
> OK then, will 'it has been possible for over two years' do ?
> Running on MPE supported, available etc.....YES!
>
> Latest version - Part number A60918-01 for the Oracle Server 7.3.2.3.1
> tape.  If you don't create a local database - you don't!
>
> Richard - time to place that order!

Sorry Vince, I didn't make that clear.
Unfortunately, I really don't want to pay for the Server, just the
client.:-)  BTW, thanks for all your Oracle on MPE help, but we won't be
needing it here at UTC.

After 24 months and way, way too much $$$ already spent, it looks like
we're more or less halting our migration to an Oracle based commercial
"integrated" application package (whose vendor will remain nameless) and
we'll be enhancing and webifying our (really it is more Jeff's) superior
in-house application on MPE using TurboImage.

Like the phoenix, another one rises from the dust...<grin>

--
Richard L Gambrell
Database Administrator and

** UTC business:
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  113 Hunter Hall, Dept. 4454
  615 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
  fax: 423-755-4025
  phone: 423-755-4551       email: [log in to unmask]

** other business or private:
  voice mail/phone: 423-874-0261  email: [log in to unmask]