HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 3

From:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:55:33 -0700
At 1:33 PM -0500 9/17/99, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I was perusing the latest issue of Portable Computing.  In it, they review the
>Apple iBook.  They report the battery life as being close to 6 hours.  Wow!
>Overall it is a pretty interesting system, somewhat underpowered but with some
>neat features, and again, an astounding battery life.  MSRP $1599.

You're right, it is a bit underpowered, and it also happens to be a bit on
the heavy side. The reason for this is that Apple used less expensive
components in order to keep the price down as low as possible so as to make
this consumer grade laptop accessible to a wider audience. However, the
professional grade laptops they currently offer aren't underpowered at all,
and they are quite lightweight (and quite pricey). I believe the batteries
for these units are supposed to be rated at 4+ hours. Not too shabby...

In all fairness, I'm sure that batteries with 6+ hours of life per charge
are just around the corner for all the Wintel laptop users out there...

Barry Lake                                 [log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants, Inc.                  www.allegro.com
(408)252-2330