HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 3

From:
"Paul H. Christidis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:43:00 -0700
Donna,

At our site we've been mailing files out of our production machine since
December of 1996 using 'JTMAIL' (written by Jim Wowchuk with some local
enhancements).   The program is 'wrapped' within a command file that handles the
addressing issues.  The programmer/user would typically issue the following
command:
MAILIT Recipient 'subject' msgfile [delflag] [attach] [silent]
where 'Recipient' could be one of the following:
      a.   "Payroll#,Payroll#,..."
      b.   a previously defined "distribution list"
      c.   Full "ISA" (Internet Style Address) of recipient
      d.   "ISA -r ISA -r.." i.e. "[log in to unmask]"
'subject' is self explanatory
'msgfile' is any MPE text file that should be mailed (includes back referencing)
or a '$' to indicate that the 'message text' will be read from '$stdin'.

The command file resolves 'payroll #s' and distribution lists to e-mail
addresses, runs the 'jtmail' program which includes any 'Cc:' and 'Bcc:'
addresses that maybe configured and tries to connect to a number of servers to
submit the message.

The address resolution is performed by parsing a central file containing a
number of distribution lists and the addresses of users that receive mail from
our machine.

The same 'mailit' command file is also invoked out of our command file that
mails '$stdlists' to our programmers, out of our 'mailrept' command file that
mails spoolfiles or mpe files to our users and a number of other.

A few months ago we also started running 'Sendmail/iX' on our server but kept
'jtmail' as the method for posting our messages (we just added our server on the
list of server that our command file tries to connect).

The primary reasons for running our own version were:
1. Network availability.  Some times we could not get to the Unix servers that
we were using as our gateway to the e-mail network.
2. Mail queuing.
3. Our previous setup was creating a lot of undeliverable messages when users
were replying to the received messages and the e-mail server was trying to send
a message to, for example, [log in to unmask]  Now programmers can use the
'mailx.hpbin.sys' program and get/read messages on our Hp3000 and I don't hear
any complains from our post master.

If you are interested I can make the command files available.

Regards
Paul H. Christidis