HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:13:10 -0400
Thus it was written in the epistle of Joe Geiser,

> It was a non-event, like much of us thought.

Well almost <*grim chuckle*>.  I knew we had one 9/9 system.  It's our idcard
system (which includes charging in the cafeteria)--all inhouse.  For some
reason, my predecessor (who created this system), decided to use 2999/9/9 for
"never expires".  Don't ask me why.  I've no clue.  Anywho, all well and good.
I knew about the system and was grateful that we weren't approaching Y3K.

Surprise.  The POS terminals in the cafe are PC's with the (also inhouse)
DOS portion of this system.  The HP portion is fine, right?  Not so with the
DOS portion.  For some reason I don't think I even want to know, this system
*strips* the first two digits of the year on the PC.  So despite having this
wonderful Y2K compliant date throughout the HP side of this project, all of
our faculty cards *still* expired yesterday and wouldn't work this morning.

*sigh*

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
This is not mathematics, it is theology.