HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:53:00 -0400
> Greg asks:
> > My HP3000 Series 957 is configured with IP address 192.1.1.1
> > I am trying to connect my New York office to our network.  I need
> > to configure HP that when information comes to 172.16.x.x to be
> > redirected to 192.1.1.1   Will this be handled in NMMGR?

Positively not.

Stan Sieler wrote:
> I might be way off, but...
> As a start, unless your HP 3000 is T200-BLDG-20.BBN.COM,
> then you have a bad address for it.  (nslookup 192.1.1.1 says
> "T200-BLDG-20.BBN.COM").

You're right on, Stan.  If you are on the Internet with 192.1.1.1,
expect a call from BBN Planet, if not your immediate ISP first :-)
The addresses specifically reserved for "private" networks, those
that are NOT used in the public Internet, are defined in RFC-1918
as the following subnets/netmasks:

   10.0.0.0/8
   172.16-31.0.0/16
   192.168.0-255.0/24

> This (having incorrect addresses for a private network) is not
> uncommon, unfortunately.  If you have HP support, they may be able
> to help you get a correct block of IP addresses assigned to you.

This is *exceedingly* difficult to do these days with the emphasis on
Classless Internet Domain Routing (CIDR) where increasingly large blocks
of IP addresses are being summarized across the heirarchy of internet
providers to minimize the size of the global routing tables.
If you don't get in the global tables, you can't route very far.  At
the risk of rambling on a bit...

Global routing information is done by Autonomous System Numbers over
exterior routing protocols like BGP or IS-IS.  Routers hold tables which
associate network prefixes with the ASN it belongs to, and routers know
"routes" between various ASNs.

ASNs are defined by listing the network prefixes they incorporate.  To
get an individual class C network like 192.1.1.x (24-bit prefix) defined
into an ASN is like pulling teeth these days.  Typically you would be
given a class C from your ISP that is part of a larger block of
addresses managed by your ISP as part of their ASN.

Now, back to the HP arrangement of IP address assignments... back when
NS was introduced, HP obtained a block of class C addresses that were
officially registered to HP.  By filling out the appropriate paperwork
and other red tape, HP would allocate you a block of addresses to use
that were in the public domain but guaranteed to be unique across the
Internet should you ever connect.  Unfortunately, if you obtained one of
these blocks, ownership of the block was *NOT* transferred to your
organization (we went through this process).

After some months of repeated contacts between HP, the Internic (the
registration agency at the time, now controlled by ARIN), we did
eventually get our block registered to UTC.  But... BBN would not pick
up our network for quite some time since "they don't bother with a /24
prefix".  It did eventually get into the Univ of Tennessee statewide
ASN, but it took forever.

Needless to say, given the current state of the network, where there are
increasing pressures to "return" these overly-specific prefixes
to their heirarchial owners, I would discourage you from seeking out
an address block from HP.  Go to your ISP unless you are dual- or
multiple-homed to different ISPs, then you have an issue too complex
to cover here :-)

> Of course, I'm starting on the assumption that the New York machine
> is validly connected to the internet.

If not, sorry for the soapbox.

> If it isn't, then you can often get away with things that might not
> otherwise work.

But should you *ever* connect to the net, you're in for big trouble.
Change that over to one of the RFC-1918 private networks now.

> Are you planning to connect the two over the internet?  (or via a
> 100% private network)

You can connect over the internet by using Network Address Translation
through a router (newer cisco images support this), a firewall, or
various software solutions for unix/linux/whatever if you have a machine
with two network cards.  Generic address translation is
covered in RFC-1631.  Otherwise, you cannot solve your problem of
crossing network boundaries without a router.

With that said, if you need a quick-fix solution for a non-Internet
scenario, you *can* cross network boundaries by using secondary IP
addresses on your router.  Not an elegant solution, nor terribly
efficient, but functional.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>