HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:13:24 -0400
Stan Sieler writes,

> I think it would be great to have an email address for use by HP3000-L
readers
> where we could send a quick note (including the 800 number (or whatever)
> of the company who's computer is "down") ... because this would represent
> a possible sales opportunity.  I could see the recipient of the note
> calling the company and saying "the HP 3000 is reliable" :)

It's funny - we're doing the final installation of WebBookstore/3000 here at
the Campus Bookstore at Queen's University.  We just went through two days of
"Rush Days" - first and second days of school.  Thousands upon thousands of
students went through the bookstore!

There are kiosks in the bookstore, but student apartments are hooked up via
their local cable company with cable modems - more high-speed connectivity.
Add to this, students in dorm rooms.

I was told that during this week last year, OpenMarket needed to be restarted
"every 20-30 minutes".  OK, we slowed down during this time, but we did not
crash.  We handled close to 100,000 hits, pumped out close to 400MB of data -
all using Image/SQL.  We did not go down!

OK, we need to tune some more, and we have been doing so, with the help from HP
and Allaire, and are on the right track, but the fact that we did not go down,
and that the bookstore broke records this year in "customers handled per hour"
made us all feel real fine.

HP/CSY Marketing will be showing the HP3000 and Image/SQL - and this is one
story that will be a success story and I'm sure there will be more.  We have
many other prospects watching this installation, and HP too, is watching.
Anyone who keeps saying "our system is down" should be looking at the HP3000,
and I would suspect more HP sales reps will be showing the machine - or at
least after the "road shows" that are being done, I certainly hope so.

Now, back to work.  I love a hotel with an RJ-45 port in the room :)  This
campus is so totally wired, that this campus hotel (actually, a conference
centre), I can work here, and still keep up with the bookstore network.

Hopefully, this will make it to the marketing folks (not the ones that I've
already talking to in Cupertino, who are already on our side) - and show them
what the 3000 CAN do!

Cheers,
Joe

Joe Geiser, Managing Partner
BizNetTech.net LLC
Phone: +1(215) 945.8100   Fax: +1(215) 943.8408
Toll Free (US/Canada): (877) 945.8100