HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:04:40 -0400
In keeping with the seemingly accepted standard and another recent posting, I
added the "OT" to the subject.  To those posters:  OT means Off Topic, and it's
probably not going to go away anytime soon, given this group.

Anyway...

Christian Lheureux asks,

> I've been asked the strangest question so far this year by my
> supervisor :
> what's the OFFICIAL language of the State of California ? Of
> course, I know
> Spanish is widely used, but I want to know the OFFICIAL
> aspect of things.

Simply put, there is no "official" language in the US although English (yes,
even in California!) is the most widely spoken language.

There is a small town in Texas trying to change that, and as they put it, to
become their own "Quebec" and make the official language in their town Spanish.
(in Canada - the official language of the Province of Quebec is French, while
most others use both English and French, but predominately English).

So, let your boss know that when we Americans travel to France, we'll try to
speak French (or at least as much as we know) -- and when he comes to the US,
he can be rest assured that English will be widely spoken :)

BTW:  English is the "official" language of the airways.  All pilots and air
traffic controllers are required to speak English.  If landing a plane at
Charles DeGaulle or Orly in Paris, the conversation between ATC and the cockpit
is NOT in French, but in English, even if that flight happens to be an Air
France flight.

Regards,
Joe