HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 22:39:00 -0400
Stan Sieler wrote:

> > I recently had reason to replace a couple of PC keyboards and
> > discovered that a company called Unicomp which apparently now owns
> > the keyboard technology Lexmark acquired when spun off from IBM.

> I have a friend who buys Northgate Omni keyboards whenever he finds
> them.

Maybe I'm a sell-out, but Microsoft Natural keyboards are popular
among some of our crew.  Richard [Gambrell] and I both have them at
home and office.  At least I think he still has one at home.  The only
annoyance is [even after all this time] when using HP function keys
like in Reflection.  The f-keys are split between f5 and f6 -- very
confusing when looking at the visual cues on the screen that it should
be between f4 and f5.  They're a little mushy compared to old typewriter
keyboards, but they're suitably quiet for home use without being
annoying (I didn't care for the "positive click" school of thought,
whether physically in the keys or acoustically through the speaker).

And to close out another thread regarding the "small footprint"
terminal, it was the 2382A.  Some suggested the 2392 but that was the
model between the 262x and 700/xx series in full scale size.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>